So this past week...
I supported a co-worker and went on a 5 day water fast, M-F. I had no knowledge around the health benefits or consequences. But I knew that it was possible; there is the well known saying that a human can go 30 days without food, 7 days without water.
I’ve intermittent fasted, 16-20 hours. This fast was 120 hours. In addition to know research, I had no preparation. I trained Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu Friday for 2.5hrs. I played basketball on Saturday for 2.5hrs. I played a hockey game on Sunday for 1hr. Following the game, I ate pizza and ice cream as my final meal.
I was hungry the first couple days. On Wednesday morning, I felt like quitting, around 55hrs into it. But I told myself that at the moment of first quitting, you’re only at 40% of your full potential. And at that moment, I was about 45% of the way there. I knew I could do it if I didn’t quit on myself.
Thursday, my legs were aching. I may have walked too much while at work. But, the aching pain lasted all day and night until I was able to fall asleep.
Friday was the last 24 hours until I drank some fluids other than water, at midnight (Saturday morning). My final test was to go out with a couple of my great friends to Sedona Taphouse. I watched them get drinks and delicious food. While I sat there and drank water, starving (kind of literally). The conversations kept my mind off it completely and afterwards I went to Kroger to get my juice and food for his weekend.
I got home, weighed in, took transformation photos, and then it was midnight. I broke my fast with an organic, heavily green-dense drink. It didn’t taste good, but my body was thankful. I proceeded to have chicken noodle soup and then went to bed.
Unfortunately, I got sick on Friday and it has stuck with me all weekend. So, my thoughts/reaction/feeling afterwards is tainted. But I can tell you that my illness is not related to the fast. People at work were sick and decided to show up to spread the disease.
I have a few takeaways and tips from my 5 day fast...
- Although my body was very weak the entire time of the fast, especially on the 4th day, due to a lack of nutrients to recover from physical activity, my mind was still sharp. I slept enough to rest my mind.
- It broke my cravings for junk food. As much as I wanted to eat, I didn’t really care for a candy bar. I just wanted nutrients. I would’ve ate just about anything, and I am a very picky eater.
- What a challenge. You can do anything you set your mind to.
- Don’t work. During my fast, I did some research to find tips online and check to see if my symptoms were normal. Basically every source said that you should not work during a water fast because of the stress. I did it. But I don’t recommend it. Don’t work. And this includes working out as well.
- Do a little prep work. Train your body for your fast, or at least start out slow and then gradually increase the length of the fast. Multiple sources say that you should start with 24hrs, then 72hrs, then 120hrs, and so on...I went from about 20hrs (which may have been 4 years ago) straight to 120hrs. Don’t do that. Train for the fast, prepare.
- Have a support system. While at work, I had great support, while I also had great criticism. But I don’t give a fuck about the latter. It was the support that I had seen which helped my greatly. It made the fast fun, it made the fast more of a challenge. It made the fast something to celebrate at the end. Outside of work, I also had friends reach out and check up on me. Thank you, you guys know who you are. And I appreciate it. If you attempt any challenge in your life, it helps to have a support system with you.
Final thoughts, it fucking sucks being sick after my 5 day fast. I feel worse than I did all week. But, I think the fast definitely will have an positive impact on my diet and mental toughness moving forward.
My transform photos are posted here. I see subtle changes. Not much can happen in 5 days, honestly. I lost some muscle and fat. I went from 158.4lbs (Sunday night) to 147.8lbs (Friday night). As a reminder, the fast is not a weight loss tool. It is to cleanse your system. Do not fucking fast to loose weight. Just change your diet and physical activity.